[lbo-talk] Heidegger

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 06:07:44 PDT 2008

That's really interesting. Sounds like the kind of thing Adorno would have done. (I'm not trying to take a cheap shot at Adorno, but didn't he change his name from Wiesengrund because the latter sounded Jewish?)

You know more about this than I do, but I kind of think a lot of the "Heidegger was superwicked!" stuff rests on a lack of understanding of how pervasive and banal this kind of thing was in Germany in the 1930s and is tied into an attempt to get German society as a whole off the hook, which is also tied into an idea that human beings are basically nice and good. Not that I have any coherent theories about this, just some percolating thoughts. (The same kind of thought process tries to get Soviet society off the hook for the Terror and blame it all on Stalin, when in fact Soviet society approved of the Terror.)