[lbo-talk] Heidegger and uneasy questions

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 9 13:23:36 PDT 2008

This is from the Zizek piece Tahir pointed to. I suggest qualifying Tahir's dismissive summary of the Foucault, Butler, Heidegger threads with Zizek's point about "uneasy questions."

There is something profoundly symptomatic in the compulsion of many liberal democratic critics of Heidegger to demonstrate that Heidegger’s Nazi engagement was not a mere temporary blunder, but in consonance with the very fundamentals of his thought: it is as if this consonance allows us to dismiss Heidegger as theoretically irrelevant and thus to avoid the effort to think with and through Heidegger, to confront the uneasy questions he raised against such basic tenets of modernity as “humanism,” “democracy,” “progress,” etc. Once Heidegger disappears from the picture, we can safely go on with our common concerns about the ethical problems opened up by biogenetics, about how to accommodate the capitalist globalization to a meaningful communal life – in short, we can safely avoid confronting what is really New in globalization and biogenetic discoveries, and continue to measure these phenomena with old standards, with the wild hope of a synthesis that would us to keep the best of both worlds.