[lbo-talk] legal dwama

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 17:02:12 PDT 2008

> blah blah. try telling them that they are already bound by
> this kind of
> thing because of the fact that they are employees.
>
> i mean, an attorney can correct me, but when you're an
> employee, if you
> build a widget that helps you get your job done, then
> widget belongs to
> company. no ifs ands or buts about it.

No, not per se. It depends on the contract, if any, and the background default law. An intelligent IT company will have a contract with its employees that says, we own anything you invent on company time, and a nondisclosure agreement and a noncompete agreement too. But good tekkies and even good entrepreneurs are often clueless about the law. If there is no agreement, there may be background law, case law, statutes, in the jurisdiction that assigns rights to the parties. That is generally matter of state law. Or there may not, In which instance everyone can hire a lawyer and sue each other and we can go to court and have a merry old time of it. We bloodsucking leeches need to eat too, you know.