[lbo-talk] URPE Summer Conference -- Aug 15-18 -- REGISTER NOW! ORGANIZE A PANEL!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 9 20:03:36 PDT 2008

From: urpe-moderator at lists.econ.utah.edu Date: July 9, 2008 11:19:48 PM EDT To: URPE Announcements <urpe-announcements at lists.econ.utah.edu> Subject: [URPE] URPE Summer Conference -- Aug 15-18 -- REGISTER NOW! ORGANIZE A PANEL!

Dear URPE Members and Friends,

This is to remind you that the annual Summer Conference of the Union for Radical Political Economics (www.urpe.org) is coming up in August!

PLEASE REGISTER BY AUGUST 1 FOR THE BEST RATE AND TO HELP THE CAMP PLAN MEALS.

We invite you to attend, and also to organize (or participate in) a PRESENTATION/PANEL/WORKSHOP. Some new panels have been organized since the last listserv posting (see below, under plenary schedule), but there is still room for more. Pat has been getting calls at the National Office asking if the conference will include panels on the current crisis. We have some, but not enough, so please consider presenting on some of the urgent issues of the day, and the radical theory behind them.

Please email Al Campbell at al.campbell at utah.edu with an indication of what you would like to present (and get feedback on).

2008 URPE Summer Conference

Poverty & Unemployment: The Permanent Violence of Capitalism

August 15-18, 2008

Camp Deer Run, Pine Bush, NY

BELOW IS A VERY PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE -- Our full schedule of workshops and meetings will be posted later.

See our Summer Conference webpages -- http://urpe.org/conferences/ summer.html -- for information on the camp: location, directions, facilities, rates, registration form, transportation, etc. While you are there, see our other projects at www.urpe.org.

Contact the URPE National Office if you have further questions: urpe at labornet.org or 413-577-0806

Download and make copies of our flyer -- let others know about our conference! http://urpe.org/conferences/SumFly2008.pdf

PLENARIES AND ENTERTAINMENT

Friday, August 15

POVERTY AND UNEMPLOYMENT ABROAD AND AT HOME: HOW MUCH AND WHY?

Immigration in the Global Economy: World Trends and Comparative State Responses Linda Allegro, University of Tulsa

A Global Analysis of Poverty, Unemployment and Inequality for the Current Period of Neoliberal Globalization Paul Cooney, Universidade Federal de Pará, Brazil

Poverty and Unemployment in Recent US History Tom Masterson, Researcher at the Levy Institute

Caste and Economic Inequality in India Ajit Zacharias, Researcher at the Levy Institute

Saturday, August 16

The DAVID GORDON LECTURE

Guns and Butter Once Again? William A. ("Sandy") Darity, Jr., Arts and Sciences Professor of Public Studies and Professor of African and African American Studies and Economics at Duke University

STRENGTHENING THE POWER OF THE WORKING CLASS: WHAT WORKS AND WHAT DOESN'T?

Creating a Community Economy: The Alliance to Develop Power's Model of Community Organizing and Cooperative Economic Development Frances Boyes, Organizer for The Alliance to Develop Power

Building the 21st Century Movement for Economic Justice Frank Joyce, RESIST Advisory Board member

How the Current Immigration Reform Attacks US Workers: How Should Workers Organize? Wing Lam, Executive Director, Chinese Staff and Workers' Association Manhattan Chinatown Center

ENTERTAINMENT: Back by popular demand (from us), dance and/or chill out to the phenomenal (it really is) sounds of Soul Purpose. Here's what they say about their band:

DANCE MUSIC is what we play. Combining the impact of a solid rhythm section with dynamic horn lines and a powerful vocal presence, we've been hitting the party, club, festival and wedding scene with a "Soulful" punch since 1998. Our repertoire includes Soul, Motown, Rock, Swing, Blues and Jazz. We play tunes that are irresistible -- fun for both dancers and listeners alike!

Sunday, August 17

ENTERTAINMENT: Radical Folk Music, led by David Laibman and Gil Skillman. Bring your instruments, and be prepared to sing along!

NEW PANELS SINCE THE LAST POSTING

This is a preliminary list – there are several other proposals whose details are still being discussed.

Business as Theoretical Object versus Business as Master Signifier. Ahmet Öncü

Cuba “under Raúl.” Al Campbell

Development, the Environment and Public Policies in the Brazilian Amazon. Paul Cooney

Global Inequalities and International Migration. Alex Julca

Income Distribution and Financial Integration: Possible Links. Armagan Gezici

Lessons of 1997 for 2008: The US Financial Crisis Compared to Emerging Markets. Marie Duggan

The Long Wait at Gate E: Economic Human Rights Organizing at Baltimore’s Baseball Stadium. Mike McGuire

Public Policies for the Working Poor: Should Earned Income Tax Credit Programs Replace Minimum Wage Laws? Jeannette Wicks-Lim

Solidarity Economy in the U.S. and in the World: Theory and Practice. Jenna Allard, Julie Matthaei, Germai Medhanie The Sophistry of Free Trade. Ian Fletcher

Teaching Radical Political Economy. What People Need to Learn and How to Keep Your Job. Paddy Quick, Doug Koritz

Toward a New Macroeconomics: From Criticism and Avoidance to Doing It Right. Session I: Growth, Technical Change and Transformation. David Laibman

Toward a New Macroeconomics: From Criticism and Avoidance to Doing It Right. Session II: Short-Run Income and Social Relations Determination. David Laibman

Toward A Reconciliation of Economic Theory and Economic History. Jim Case

Where is the Bolivarian Revolution Going? Jenny Brown, Al Campbell

Why the Left Should Support Obama in Promoting the Elimination of Poverty and Unemployment as the Cancers of Capitalism. Sidney Gluck

_______________________________________________ This is the listserve of the Union for Radical Political Economics, an interdisciplinary association devoted to the study, development and application of radical political economic analysis to social problems. This is a moderated announcement-only listserve. Messages will be kept to a minimum. The content of announcements must be strongly related to radical political economics, i.e. jobs, conferences, talks, classes, resources. Please submit messages exactly as you would like them to go out (spelling, etc.). Messages will go out in plain text. Do not include attachments.

ANY OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE MESSAGES AND IN THE EVENTS THEY PROMOTE ARE THOSE OF THE INDIVIDUAL WRITERS AND SPEAKERS, NOT OF URPE AS AN ORGANIZATION.

URPE-ANNOUNCEMENTS MAILING LIST

TO SUBMIT A MESSAGE, send an email to: URPE- Announcements at lists.econ.utah.edu