[lbo-talk] Writing semiliterate English (advice)

sawicky at verizon.net sawicky at verizon.net
Fri Jul 11 07:45:30 PDT 2008

The U.S. classic is of course Huckleberry Finn, though the similarity to Rasputin

is nil.

If Rasputin was intelligent, I don't know why you would want to reproduce

the illiterate language, though it wouldn't do to try and make him sound

like any sort of litterateur.  It's an interesting question.  The analogs that

come to mind are 19th century American hucksters and snake oil salesmen,

who tended to use flowery, pseudo-scientific lingo to impress the yokels.

In this case R was impressing presumably educated royalty.  I would forego

the misspelling, since it conveys nothing of importance to an English reader.