[lbo-talk] Writing semiliterate English (advice)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Jul 11 10:10:59 PDT 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Chris Doss wrote:

> Well, here's a passage. This is a first sight translation, and all
> misspellings are mine and accidental. :) Mama is the Tsaritsa. I assume
> by "us" she means herself and Nicolas. This is a really cool passage
> actually.

Hmm. Well the main problem then is that as a first sight reading it's boring. I'd worry more about that than translating orthographic verisimilitude.

Maybe you could try James Frey style. That's semi-literacy that plays well :o) BTW, [?] means "what does this mean?"

Freystyle:

Mama said the more I curse you the dearer you are to me.

I asked her why.

She said you stay thin so you can come to me pure. Im sad for your suffering. And that makes you more dear to me. But is it true what they say? That your ... with women?

I told Mama something I maybe didnt understand myself because it wasnt from the mind, but from the soul. I said my soul tortures me. People tempt me. When Im drunk, Im a drunken animal! But when I'm sober I see inside people, and it hurts. It hurts so much that I must destroy myself in drunkenness to forget.

Mama said why don't you take your suffering upon yourself [?], instead of drowning in wine?

I said because I feel shame only when I am sobering up. Because people do not let themselves feel shame.[?]

Mama said do you really see us? Do you really see... inside?

I saw something awful. I said remember when I am not with you that I will drink your great suffering and I will pour great joy into you for Earthly suffering is the path to the Kingdom. Where I will wash your feet with tears of joy. Don't ask anymore!

She already wasnt asking. Quiet tears fell on my hands and she whispered kissing my fingers oh my Savior my God my Christ!

I lay her on the sofa. I heard her whisper like the voice of dream Don't tell Annushka!

I won't.

But she prays like a woman like a beggar. She should command like a Tsaritsa.