[lbo-talk] Superclass!

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Jul 11 14:21:39 PDT 2008

>>> Doug Henwood

On Jul 11, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Eric wrote:

>> Are we now ruled by an international elite that has left national
>> borders far behind?
>
> People do, but how can anyone actually believe this? Aren't all
> stock markets segmented along national borders? Don't currency
> traders make money from national differentials? Aren't decisions
> about production made with national wage differences in mind?
> Saying "the elite" have left the nation behind is arguing from
> patriotism, Ron Paulism.

I agree with the last part, but it's just not empirically true that the U.S. or any other First World elite has effectively transnationalized itself. I dunno, maybe Belgium. But maybe not even them.

Doug

^^^^^ CB: So, the thesis of _Empire_ is questionable.

Hey, don't forget, the US has turned corporations into "persons", so....