[lbo-talk] URPE Summer Conference -- Aug 15-18 -- REGISTER NOW! ORGANIZE A PANEL!

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Jul 11 14:25:54 PDT 2008

Back in 1985, then Donald McCloskey wrote: "In seminars in economics it is common for the speaker to present a statistical result, apparently irrefutable by the rules of positive economics, yet to be met by choruses of "I can't believe it" or "It doesn't make sense." Milton Friedman's own Money Workshop at Chicago in the late 1960s and the early 1970s was a case in point.".

Meaning -- if the data don't fit our model, it is proof that the data is wrong.