[lbo-talk] democracy in action

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 16:45:26 PDT 2008

Eric:

I'm sure Robert Jensen already has some sort of plodding-march thing planned. It is an event after all, and it is vaguely political, so it calls for a protest. I bet he's dying to once again utter the startling revelation that the Democrats are just as complicit in American imperialism as Republican. Oh, and they're also soft on pornography, that ultimate barometer of white-male privilege and the greatest scourge of humankind. The convention center is convenient for him, as the anticonsumerist refrigerator box he lives in is located just around the corner.

Ha!

Yes, Jensen is a thorough tool.

Years ago, I listened to him give an interview to a local (Phila) public radio personality.

The topic was 'Men and Pornography' or something equally majestic. Things went smoothly at first; Jensen softly presented his anti-pr0n case, sounding every bit the concerned, sincere academic and reformed monkey spanker.

But the wheels quickly flew off once it was time to take listener calls.

One reasonable sounding man insisted that although Jensen made some interesting points, on the whole, he felt he could manage to wank off to Jenna Jameson from time to time *and* be a decent person -- no mutual exclusivity.

Jensen exploded! 'Until men learned to be flawlessly gentle and kind and sweet and non-aroused by images, like women, the Earth would continue to suffer!' Or words very much to that effect. He practically accused this perplexed caller of being the greatest mass murderer in human history (or at least, one of his eager lieutenants).

Jensen's rhetoric got so heated -- without provocation -- that the host called a bit of a time out.

At the time, being outside of the lefty bio-dome, I had no idea who this numbskull was. Later, people I respected glowingly mentioned Jensen's essays on American imperialism. Remembering that NPR interview, I laughed and laughed.

What?! That guy? Listen, anyone's whiskey swilling grandma can make a case against imperialism (listen, I know it's a rare and often brave thing to do in our society, but work with me here). That isn't reason enough to dig the guy's work, all things considered.

.d.

-- "Even bad men love their mommas."

Ben Wade

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/