[lbo-talk] Sirota: getting rolled by Obama

Shane Taylor shane.taylor at verizon.net
Fri Jul 11 20:05:18 PDT 2008

Max Sawicky wrote:

> In Sirota and the unhappiness of the Kossacks
> with Obama on FISA you can see a glimpse of
> a post-Obama left, though there are many miles
> to go. I take a lot of exceptions to their
> views, but you have to give them some credit
> for trying to build an independent stance.

I agree. Progressive Democrats, in my experience, do not speak of independent means. They speak of beating the Republican flack machines and media. They speak as if the Democratic party longs to serve them, if only they beat enough Republicans. Sirota argues with them, as one of them, in making Adolph Reed's case--partially, but crucially about what a real movement would require.

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Doesn't everyone? Except the Netroots?

Well, yeah, but doesn't Sirota make something close to the disillusioned argument you want to hear because of Obama? Organize outside the party; elections are a means, not an end; a nervous politician is a responsive politician.

Shane