[lbo-talk] URPE Summer Conference -- Aug 15-18 -- REGISTER NOW! ORGANIZE A PANEL!

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 09:20:58 PDT 2008

What Miles said. All theories have problems accounting for anomalous data. (Marxism, anaybody?) As long as there are no alternative theories you may have to live with this. When the problems get bad enough for long enough without resolution in sight, smart people start casting around for new theories or new ways of theorizing. This is all basic Kuhn and it's true.

This also goes for economics whethere or not it is a science in some narrow sense modeled on, what physics, unless it's treated as a fundamentalist article of faith (as it is by some NCEs and some Marxists), in which case no amount of anomalous data can create a problem. In that case, as Einstein joked when asked, what if the 1918 experiment confirmining the truth of General Realtivity had gone the otherf way, "I should feel sorry for thed Dear Lord. The theory is correct."