[lbo-talk] URPE Summer Conference -- Aug 15-18 -- REGISTER NOW!ORGANIZE A PANEL!

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Jul 12 11:41:12 PDT 2008

Carrol Cox wrote:

> It is theory that determines what data is data.

I agree with this. However, the measurement theory that determines what is data is typically independent of the theory under test. For instance, behaviorists and psychodynamic theorists can have different predictions about effective treatments for phobia, and they can both share the same measurement theory about the acceptable ways of measuring improvement in phobic symptoms. The fact that the measurement of phobic symptoms is dependent on a measurement theory does not get in the way of testing whether the behaviorist prediction or the psychodynamic prediction is more consistent with the data.

> That in a way is what the Theory people (who Doug is so anxious to
> defend) are all about: the overthrow of empiricism.

I agree that all facts are theory laden. That said, on practical grounds, I see no reason to overthrow empiricism. I don't know if the scientific method uncovers any profound and immutable truths about the universe, but it has made possible cool stuff like vaccines, the internet, and guitar amps.

Miles