[lbo-talk] glen ford should receive a weekly sunday hummer

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Jul 13 06:00:14 PDT 2008

for this:

this just makes me want to give glen ford a big old sunday morning hummer!

i love the 'donut movement' metaphor -- the progressive circle around the non-progressive center. you could market that one. obama-rama ding dongs. heh.

///

But the most important reason that "Progressives for Obama" should have never existed is its utter lack of content. Leftists attempted to impose themselves on an electoral campaign where they were not wanted, and yet persisted in identifying with an organization over which they had no control, no ability to provide content. It was a game of make-believe, that has run its illogical course. Frankly, the project can also be seen as an act of opportunism, an attempt to graft the Left onto a corporate campaign that at some point must eject it like a foreign body.

If it were just that lonely Lefties, tired of fighting in a thoroughly corporate-saturated political culture, simply wanted to hitch a ride with the younger Obamite crowd, they might be forgiven. But these veteran progressives deployed their reputations to spread falsehoods that they knew to be untrue. They provided a veneer of progressive credibility to a candidate who was nothing of the kind.

We were subjected to ideological nonsense such as: the Obama campaign is inherently progressive because it has excited millions of new potential voters. Therefore, progressives must publicly identify with Obama, take care to be seen as allies, and never do or say anything that might harm his candidacy. We were even told that the excitement surrounding Obama constituted a "movement." But of course, there was never a social movement that was devoid of content, and excitement is a politically neutral quality that can be generated by the Left or the Right - or in wholly apolitical circumstances.

///

http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=689&Itemid=1