[lbo-talk] haters

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 07:11:33 PDT 2008

shag:

...the conversation [about the book, full frontal feminism] then spun out of control and 'hater' was lodged at everyone -- whether they were engaged in snide personal attacks or in valid criticism or some combination (of which the latter is a more typical mode).

"hater". it's just such a childish way of dismissing criticism. "oh. you just hate."

any thoughts?

Not so long ago, 'hater' (with a 'jealously' chaser) was used pretty freely on-list to describe those of us who criticized Sen. Obama's progressive credentials -- or, more to the point, the progressive credentials others tried to affix to his lovely suit.

Obviously, it was a discussion killer. Whenever 'hater' was deployed, there wasn't a need to consider the arguments at-hand, you could just say that your debating opponent was a future hating crank and tra la la on your way.

'Hater' also served as a nice deflector shield: as I said, most on-list criticisms weren't leveled at Obama per se (who several of us have always understood to be just a Dem candidate, carrying the usual baggage) but at his lefty supporters, the people making out-sized claims about the remarkable things waiting to happen, just around the inaugural bend.

By calling 'hater!', the debate's flow was re-directed away from an examination of the left (as is) and uselessly towards a back and forth about the supposed virtues or evils of Sen. Obama.

Perhaps the most interesting example of this was the Obama/Wright thing; quite a few people accused the Reverend of being a 'hater' for having the temerity to continue preaching as he's done for many years -- talking about imperialism and so on. Since, at the time, this appeared to give the Senator's adversaries ammunition, the Rev. was declared a hater for refusing to either join in singing hosannas to change or, if that was too difficult, sitting quietly until the election was over.

I wrote about this here:

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20080428/007671.html>

I could be wrong, but I think the 'hater' maneuver is a very American thing. I'm not sure there's a strong tradition of actual debate in this country, which places great emphasis on people being either entirely right or entirely wrong (one of the reasons why the scientific method is so little understood). Calling 'hater' is probably just one item on a long list of American discussion-killing techniques.

.d.

-- "Even bad men love their mommas."

Ben Wade

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/