[lbo-talk] URPE Summer Conference -- Aug 15-18 -- REGISTERNOW!ORGANIZE A PANEL!

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jul 13 18:56:38 PDT 2008

On Sun Jul 13, shag wrote:

> what was the name/authors of that infamous article published in the 70s or
> 80s, about the 110 different meansings of culture? anyone remember?

Are you maybe thinking of the one by the anthropologists Alfred Kroeber and Clyde Kluckhohn? They wrote a famous article back in the 1950s entitled "Culture: A Critical Review of Concepts and Definitions" that catalogued over 150 different meanings of culture -- and that was before most of the main ones we use today were born. It's often cited in passing.

Michael