[lbo-talk] cultural quiz

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jul 14 06:49:07 PDT 2008

[via Mike Allen]

A quiz from the August issue of DETAILS -- 'Are you THAT GUY?'

--You initiate fist bumps. --You order foreign dishes in an accent. --You shave your head at the first sign of balding. --You use any word Stephen Colbert invented. --You have an elaborate bedtime ritual on planes-with neck pillow, sleep mask, and noise-canceling headphones. --You have a downloaded ring tone. --You wave someone along even though they have the right of way. --You say the name of the town where your Ivy League alma mater is located instead of the name of the school. --You own a Manchester United jersey. --You quote Borat, Zoolander, or Anchorman, or reference 'TPS reports' and 'pieces of flair.' --You put your BlackBerry on the table when you sit down at a restaurant. --You talk baby talk to your girlfriend on your office phone. --You offer to buy a cigarette from people outside bars. --You order 'off-menu.' --You own a reptile. --You say 'My bad.' --You describe your relationship status by saying 'It's complicated.' --You say 'We're pregnant.' --You have destination-related car stickers like MV, NTK, PVT, HMP, or NPT. --You make a show out of tasting wine. --You preface statements with 'spoiler alert.' --You don't wash last night's admission stamp off your hand. --You use abbreviations like TBD, ASAP, and BFD in conversation and sign off e-mails with 'thx' or 'cheers.' --You wear flip-flops, Croakies, Crocs, or board shorts in the city. --You have a nighttime wardrobe that includes a going-out shirt, concert merchandise, or limited-edition sneakers you bought in Tokyo. --You say 'I need my Starbucks.' --You pretend not to know who Spencer Pratt is. --You offer advice to women on their 'form' at the gym. --You call friends and colleagues by their last names. --You describe anything good as 'sick.' --You refer to your wife as 'the ol' ball and chain' and say 'I'll take the request to management.' --You refer to a trip to the gym as a 'legs day.' --You go to a show to see the opening band. --You think Hayden Panettiere is hot. --You put your kid in a Che Guevara T-shirt. --You include the names of your kids and pets in your home outgoing message. --You refer to money as 'Benjamins,' 'dead presidents,' 'ducats,' or 'coin.' --You bitch about your contractor at parties. --You talk about a record 'dropping.' --You half-tuck your shirt. --You have a goatee. --You refer to anything as 'small-batch' or 'artisanal.' --You refer to any last-stop bar as 'the 19th hole.' --You're a Caucasian with a tattoo in Asian lettering. --You Evite. --You own a wine Rabbit. --You proselytize about carbon footprints. --You name your kid after a character in 'To Kill a Mockingbird.' --You use the phrase 'flyover states.' --You use the word 'bicoastal.' --You pretend to like country music. --You wear DJ headphones. --You use a Bluetooth headset. --You call muscle groups by shortened versions of their technical names, like 'lats,' 'traps,' and 'pecs