[lbo-talk] URPE Summer Conference -- Aug 15-18 -- REGISTER NOW! ORGANIZE A PANEL!

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 07:50:03 PDT 2008

Ted Winslow wrote:

> Marx claimed that classical political economy contained substantive
> truth content, truth content he claimed to "sublate" in his own
> political economy, a political economy rooted, however, in ontological
> and anthropological ideas very different from those of classical
> political economy.

Ted,

How do you think Marx got to claim "that classical political economy contained substantive truth content" ("truth content," a horrible formulation that I seriously doubt Marx ever used, but whatever)? So, he just knew?

Because, I guess, according to you, it's already been decided that modern macro has zero "truth content." No? If you indeed believe that modern macro has zero "truth content," would you please let us know how you arrived at such conclusion? Where is your critique of modern macro backing up such categorical conclusion?

As for Marx's critique being rooted in different ontological and anthropological ideas, how did he acquire those ideas? Didn't he have to "rub different intellectual traditions against each other" (to continue paraphrasing David Harvey)?