[lbo-talk] Mathematics and Algebra in Economics Research

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 09:18:27 PDT 2008

Apropos of your question(s) below, and based on my experience, mainly in Europe: It may have to do with methodology. While people with PhD's in political economy, or international political economy (like myself) generally have training in statistics and/or economics, they are mildly to strongly opposed to positivism and empiricism.

For instance, I have no problem with statistical data, but refuse to reproduce mainstream/orthodoxy practices and arguments "hidden behind thickets of algebra". This is essentially a philosophical problem. My work is influenced by Marxism in general, and Critical Realism in particular. See, for instance, Tony Lawson's "Economics & Reality" and Steve Feetwood's Critical Realism in Economics: Development and Debate (both routledge)

Hope this is of some help.

YOUR QUESTIONS START These are questions I often ask myself:

How can we get larger groups of young people with the heart in the right place (that is, with a strong, passionate commitment to the interest of working people, discontent with the status quo, for social change), to seriously and critically study math and modern economics? How can we help them in their pursuit? ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk

__________________________________________________________ Not happy with your email address?. Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html