[lbo-talk] Susie Bright and Davos

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 14 17:41:07 PDT 2008

A while back Chuck Grimes started a series of posts on Cassirer with this:

>The partial piece quoted below is written by Michael Friedman at
>Stanford. Friedman also wrote on Davos, The Parting of Ways,

I went looking for books on Cassirer and paged a collection of essays from the library. One was by Friedman and I read it over the weekend. I didn't realize until today that the guy I was reading was the same guy Chuck had quoted.

I didn't understand a lot of Friedman's essay, but it went down easier because I kept dipping into a Susie Bright book when Friedman got to be overwhelming. I recommend this method. It might also work to alternate between reading about Cassirer and watching a Fellini movie.

Friedman's essay made me want to keep exploring this "parting of ways" and it made me think that presenting the parting as a battle with victors and vanquished that we should choose between widely misses the point.