[lbo-talk] Rose (?)

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Tue Jul 15 00:29:46 PDT 2008

CG said:

I read this post last week and then looked up Rose on Wiki, and read a few more things on her where it was claimed she followed Hegel for awhile. I find that very difficult to believe given the above attempt at analysis.

If you or anybody else is interested, I'll put together a critique of Rose's approach---in the above example.

My motivation is this. Rose must have been trained in the Logical Positivist school. I think of this sort of training as the Anglo-American deadheads. They are profoundly deaf to many if not all of continental philosophy post-Kant. They are even worse at their grasp of the so-called Postmoderns.

Tahir: Rose is not logical positivist in the slightest and I'm keen to know why you would say that. She is thoroughly steeped in German philosophy - she learned German purely for the purpose of studying Hegel and she always quotes her own translations from original German rather than using one of the translations available. If there is anyone NOT deaf to continental philosophy post Kant then it is she. If you mean by the last point that she is not into post-modernism, yeah damn right - she has written a few critiques of that sort of thing. Her book Dialectic of Nihilism: Post-structuralism and Law is the main one.

(....)

>From one self-taught philosopher to another, you gotta loosen up, and
read more.

Tahir: No doubt. But BTW I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a philosopher. I'm a linguist who enjoys some philosophy, especially when I can relate it to my interests in language; that's why I like Cassirer. And you don't sound all that self taught to me.

Gillian Rose has a problem (at least in the quotes you supply). But it is a problem that I recognize and I am interested in. If you or anybody else want to hear more, you gotta say so. It requires a lot of work on my part.. Gillian Rose's tone deaf reading of Hegel illustrates a very interesting problem in the US-UK. Short form, both country's academic establishmnts are from the Freudian point of view, waay anal.

You want hear more, let me know....

Tahir: Yep, can't wait. But I have to be honest here; it will take more work than you're prepared to do to put me off my hero. Let me give you a head start here: Rose's main theme throughout her entire oeuvre, from her early 'hegel-marx' period to her later work on Kierkegaard and other religious themes, is the 'diremption between ethics and law' in the Western tradition. But I have to admit that her last great work on this theme, The Broken Middle, is too difficult for me, because it is full of Kierkegaard and Kafka, whom I will have to read much more of just to understand Rose better. But the inspiration I got out of her early works, as well as her beautiful last completed book, called Love's Work, which she wrote when dying of cancer, have done more for me than just about everything else I've ever read put together.