[lbo-talk] Susie Bright and Davos

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Jul 16 07:57:33 PDT 2008

> This ties in with Aby Warburg's time spent with Hopi in New Mexico no?
> Have you ever been to the Warburg Institute?

Quick answer. Yes it does. And no, I've never been to the Warburg. Unfortunately, I haven't done much traveling at all. Too broke most of the time and too tied down with work, former family etc...

I think I mentioned this before. The Warburg was moved from Germany to London(?) and headed by Gombrich after the war. I found that both fascinating and maybe unfortunate. Gombrich's concept of art history shared little with Warburg or Cassirer's, and was heavily influenced by the logical posivists.

The quote Tahir used to illustrate Rose on Hegel in the first two paragraphs sounded a lot like logical postivists, or at least an LP trained academic. I didn't read further, and should have. Wrong.

Instead I jumped to the conclusion she was another Gombrich and went off.

I'll try to get to writing something on Rose that is not so wrong headed. Probably should read one of her books...

Oh, and cut-ups example Andy F mentioned was nor so far off either. Carpenter had us do various exercises to see how we think of space and time. I can't remember exactly what they were. They were writing exercises, like write a few paragraphs describing something and don't use any spatial metaphors. One of the other exercises was writing without using tenses or something like that. I can't remember. Anyway the effect did produce a weird mirror into the way we think...

CG