[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on BHO

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Jul 16 15:00:01 PDT 2008

Recently, I've found myself less and less interested in debating 'Barry' this and 'Barry' that and much more intrigued by the idea that the left actually has no plan... .d.

---------

The store where I work is crumbling apart under the ever dwindling income from the healthcare system, particularly MediCal....

Meanwhile the new owner is going mad and daily marches into my supervisor's office to yell and scream at her.

Two weeks ago the owner calls me into her office and tells me she is cutting off my PPO which is costing her too much. The rate she was paying for me at 65 was just about twice the rate for others... She tells me to go sign up for Medicare. Nice.

Meanwhile last Feburary my workmate, Paul, a mechanic I've known for thirty years got sick with the flu, went to the hospital, got MRSA pneumonia, came close to death, and barely recovered in an extremely weakned state, and now has brain damage, recognizes no one... Of course his medical bills were literally astronomical, into several million. He was in ICU for five months, 24/7.

I am listing all this personal stuff to illustrate the closness of the healthcare crisis. It's everywhere and it will come to your door soon. What it feels like is that death has come to visit and lingers around peering in the windows.

Well, now what I ask myself? Berkeley already has all the national organizations represented here and fully staffed with lots of protester available on-call at a moments notice...

Today at a doctor's appointment I asked Peter F, so you are a member of the physicians for single payer, right. Sure, of course, the system is a mess.... We talk on for several minutes discussing the lack luster BHO and Clinton plans...

This morning on the phone I was placing a parts order with a manufacturer customer service guy and he says, tell Elizabeth (one of our sales reps) I saw here on tv at the healthcare protest last week... This is his idea of a joke. He is from Fresno...

All these people are either old fashioned liberals or slightly progressive, including the guy from Fresno (he's hispanic and we've laughted before on other matters---like employers spying on customer service calls---His name is Julio. So Julio is this a clean line? Momento. Yes, we're clear... Ha, ha....)

>From all these things, I must live in another universe. I live in an
onclave where I am not sure I have seen a Republican or even a Kos Democrat in I don't know how long... Even the crazy boss is at least an OHB supporter and she is my worst enemy!

Back to work...

CG