[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on BHO

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Jul 17 10:59:20 PDT 2008

``...If we cannot disarm them all at once, we need to start disarming the ones that represent the clearest...danger..'' Julio

--------

What he said... But let me add something here about the point to protection and refuge within an organization.

There are two different thrusts to protection. First is of course the recruited, getting something for their committment and struggle. But second, such protection is taking over what had been the state's responsibility under the social contract, and what is still referred to as `security'. In fact the state does protect capital and not labor, and has turned the protection of the state under the social contract on its head... protecting capital against labor

So then in say a radical union, the union protection is taking over the protection the state had refused labor... As the scope and comprehensiveness of unions and radical orgs grows, these can begin to more seriously intrude on state power, because the rad-org has already taken over the protective function of the state...

This is actually what happens in revolutions as political parties begin to pull more and more people into the fold, to survive they have to start with protection against state military power of course, but also generate their own internal economy---to feed, cloth, etc their own...

Another point.. We need to engage electoral politics in order to have at least some people in government.

And then to what Doug said, `.. I am guessing the `aha!' conversion are rare.'' But Doug is such a convert. So explain how the aha happened to yourself and you will see it in others...

CG