[lbo-talk] Saudi anti-Semitism

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 12:02:13 PDT 2008

AFAIK the best contenders for remnants of the Khazars are probably the Karaim (not that there are many left) and Crimean Tatars (two related groups), the Krimchaks, and maybe the Tats (sometimes called Mountain Jews) of Dagestan and elsewhere in the Caucasus. For one thing they have the advantages of being 1) Turkik and 2) having unusual forms of Judaism (the Crimean Tatars are actually Muslim but have close connections to the Karaim). In fact this argument was made as far back as the mid-1800s by a Karaite scholar -- who went as far as forging documents -- as part of the (successful) campaign to get the Karaim non-Jewish legal status in the Russian Empire.

I actually met a Tat once. I couldn't believe it. They almost seemed almost quasimythical. ;)