[lbo-talk] Saudi anti-Semitism

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 12:58:59 PDT 2008

Not that I'm any sort of an expert on this, but I understand that the origin of Yiddish is not a matter of consensus among linguists, including whether it is a dialect of German as opposed to a creole or something like that with a lot of German mixed in along with Slavic languages and who knows what.

It varied a lot. I recall my late MiL, who grew up in a Yiddish-speaking household originally from Ukraine and Galicia, remarking after she attended a Yiddish-language revival of a play from her childhood, They spoke beautiful Warsaw Yiddish. I didn't understand one word in ten.

(Btw my great-aunt was a successful Yiddish and mainstream theater and film actress from the 1920s through the 19809s. She played The Jazz Singer's mother on B-way in 1923, when she was herself about 30! She also understudied for Lillian Gish in Arsenic and Old Lace in 1940. But she also played Yiddish theater as long as it existed.)