[lbo-talk] Saturday, Doug, Reed, and Heritage on poverty

Auguste Blanqui blanquist at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 16:58:18 PDT 2008

Actually, most 1960s stuff (from both the left and the right and everywhere in between) pretty much perpetuated the mythology from the Moynihan Report to Kenneth Clark's Dark Ghetto to the Kerner Report and Michael Harrington's The Other America (which borrowed the "culture of poverty" phrase from the left-wing anthropologist Oscar Lewis). It's entirely possible to inflect the single-parent, absent father, pathological culture stereotypes in either a right or left policy direction.

The genealogy stretches back even further in the U.S. to at least the late 19th century and early 20th century. In fact, Reed's book on Du Bois has a great chapter on the Philadelphia Negro that analyzes Du Bois's Victorian moral sensibilities. Alice O'Connor's book POVERTY KNOWLEDGE is probably the best thing out there for tracing the whole story through the entire 20th Century.