[lbo-talk] teaching the pampered rich at Harvard

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 22 20:19:40 PDT 2008

I didn't use the phrase "hired help" I wrote "mere servants". The difference between the two is startling. We can agree that most (but not all) students attend college to further vocational goals but that is irrelevant. The difference in the approach of elites at elite institutions and working and middle class at State Institutions has been explained you seem however to chose not to read or else not to desire to understand what you've read. So be it. When elite students view faculty as existing "to validate the students preconceived ideas about themselves as elites." while non-elites view faculty as "helping students prepare for their chosen careers." (your words) the difference should be obvious to anyone. It isn't that University instructors are viewed as somehow elevated above other labors but you seem fixated on the idea that others are making this claim and you're unable to see beyond it.

John Thornton