[lbo-talk] Juan Cole/Salon: Obama saying the wrong things about Afghanistan

sawicky at verizon.net sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Jul 23 08:50:07 PDT 2008

Word on the second frying pan point, but BHO does have the germ

of an important point.

The neo-cons are really soft on Osama and terrorism, and they don't

much give a shit about Israel.  Their real focus, as revealed in the

Post editorial I mentioned, is to keep oil under the control of

fundamentalist monarchs rather than the likes of Saddamist Iraq

or Iran.  This of course does not prevent them from bashing any

criticism as defeatist, anti-semitic and terrorist  luvin.

It seems only right for BHO to respond in kind, by highlighting

the Afghanistan/Pakistan theater, though of course the risks of

futzing around there are well-noted by Cole and others.  People

are still addicted to interventionism, an election is not the place

to contest that sentiment, so you beat one kind of macho with

another, not with Kucinichian withdrawal.  As noted above,

your pretensions can bite you on the ass later on.