[lbo-talk] teaching the pampered rich at Harvard

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 23 14:38:22 PDT 2008

Jim Straub wrote:
> Although I argue the opposite, I must say that your statement doesn't
> 'ring true' to me as an accurate generalization of students at either
> type of college. Working people, as well as their offspring in
> post-secondary education, don't in my experience have any lesser (or
> greater) likelihood of being assholes. Electrical engineers, truck
> drivers, nurses aides, waitresses, teachers and security guards--- and
> their kids--- are as capable of rude, self-centered, mean, bigoted or
> otherwise prickish behavior as anyone else. Most occupations and
> social statuses in my experience contain the full spectrum of
> personality.

The difference is not who is an ass and who isn't.

Elite students at elite institutions expect an "A" even if caught plagiarizing. Students at State Universities would not have such an expectation.

State university students may feel they are purchasing something, but they feel they are purchasing not just a degree but the knowledge required to "move up in the world". Too many Harvard students don't believe they're purchasing knowledge. They are purchasing proof of their entitlement first and foremost. Since professors are seen as people to rubber stamp that proof of entitlement the idea that professors have any power over the students is laughable to a great many of these students. Like I said earlier. Maybe you have to see it to really believe it.

John Thornton