[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed on BHO

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 24 16:45:04 PDT 2008

Chuck Grimes wrote:

But let me add something here about the point to protection and refuge within an organization.

There are two different thrusts to protection. First is of course the recruited, getting something for their committment and struggle. But second, such protection is taking over what had been the state's responsibility under the social contract, and what is still referred to as `security'. In fact the state does protect capital and not labor, and has turned the protection of the state under the social contract on its head... protecting capital against labor

So then in say a radical union, the union protection is taking over the protection the state had refused labor... As the scope and comprehensiveness of unions and radical orgs grows, these can begin to more seriously intrude on state power, because the rad-org has already taken over the protective function of the state... ****************

This is the kind of "Workers' Union" which Flora Tristan was trying organise back in the 19 Century. Not a bad idea, in all. Of course, we have to get organised first from the grassroots and that means taking a chance.

Mike B)

Get organised. http://www.iww.org/en/join

Start at the new Yahoo!7 for a better online experience. www.yahoo7.com.au