[lbo-talk] Dustup - final installment

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Jul 25 20:57:13 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2008, at 8:17 PM, shag wrote:
>
>> but man, that was a satisfying, tight set of arguments where you
>> creamed him with your command of data. i know, i know: not many
>> people are going to be swayed by 'just the facts,' but that was still
>> some mighty fine stuff.
>>
>>> <http://tinyurl.com/6a7xor>.
>

> Wow. Check out the comments. Egads.

My fav is the very first one:

---------------------- 1. Lets take this to the extreme - if the government keeps hitting up those that were responsible to bail out those that weren't, in the end we'll all look to the government to save us from ourselves, except they won't have anyone to tax to do it. How about making people RESPONSIBLE for their actions, in the end people will make better decisions about themselves AND the country. WHY IS THERE SO MUCH DISCRIMINATION AGAINST RESPONSIBLE PEOPLE AND SO MUCH REWARDING OF IDIOTS? ----------------------

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The simplistic rhetoric of the "responsible individual" is an ideological lynchpin of American capitalism. I have a hard time imagining how capitalism in our society would survive without the individualist rhetoric exemplified above.

Miles