[lbo-talk] Dustup - final installment

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Jul 26 12:26:23 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Jul 25, 2008, at 11:57 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The simplistic rhetoric
>> of the "responsible individual" is an ideological lynchpin of
>> American capitalism. I have a hard time imagining how capitalism in
>> our society would survive without the individualist rhetoric
>> exemplified above.
>

> Yup. And it's so foundational that I can imagine how to shake it.
>
> Doug

I'm assuming the "can" is a typo, but I would like to support that as written: we can imagine how to change it! Everyday, mundane social interactions created the ideology, and changing those patterns of social interaction will change the ideology. I realize this is less than satisfactory, because it just raises another practical question: how do we change everyday social interactions when the individualist ideology is so entrenched? However, one thing that gives me hope is the irrefutable historical fact that every ideology that supports the powerful eventually fades into irrelevance--Ozymandias and all that.

Miles