[lbo-talk] Sleaze scuppers Democrat golden boy

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 26 18:56:44 PDT 2008

Sleaze scuppers Democrat golden boy

Gotcha: Senator John Edwards, whose wife has cancer, has been caught in a sex scandal that ends his vice-presidential hopes

Sarah Baxter in Washington
>From The Sunday Times
July 27, 2008

SCRATCH John Edwards off the list of potential vice-presidential candidates. The former White House contender, who had been hoping to get the nod from Barack Obama, is in the midst of a full-blown sex scandal.

Every supermarket shopper knows that the preternaturally youthful former senator for North Carolina may have fathered a love child with a film-maker while Elizabeth, his saintly wife, is dying of cancer. There are sensational new details on the National Enquirer website, although most of the media have done their best to ignore them.

The tabloid magazine cornered Edwards, 55, leaving a Los Angeles hotel where Rielle Hunter, his alleged mistress, and her baby were staying, at 2.40am last Tuesday. He ran down a hallway and dived into the men's bathroom. A hotel security guard confirmed the encounter. "His face just went totally white," the guard said.

The story has been bubbling away for months, but so far there has been not a word about it in the mainstream newspapers, even though Edwards was John Kerry's running mate in 2004 and has been tipped for a prominent job in an Obama administration - if not vice-president, then attorney-general or antipoverty tsar.

Edwards volunteered recently: "I'm prepared to consider seriously anything, anything [Obama] asks me to do for our country."

He can stop waiting by the telephone. News of the "gotcha" rapidly circulated on the internet via the Drudge Report and has been buzzing on the blogs. The Enquirer's story appears to be well sourced.

According to the magazine, Edwards arrived at the Beverly Hilton on Monday at 9.45pm after attending a meeting on homelessness in Los Angeles and was dropped off at a side entrance. Two rooms were allegedly booked for Hunter in a friend's name.

Edwards emerged hours later and was confronted by journalists from the Enquirer. His usual spokesmen and defenders have scurried for cover behind a wall of "no comment", while the details of the story have gone unchallenged.

Even so, Tony Pierce, editor of the Los Angeles Times, issued an edict to the paper's own bloggers to stay off the subject. "Because the only source has been the National Enquirer, we have decided not to cover the rumours or salacious speculations," he wrote.

Mickey Kaus, a blogger for Slate magazine, leaked the memo. He noted: "This was a sensational scandal that the Los Angeles Times and other mainstream papers passionately did not want to uncover when Edwards was a formal candidate and now that the Enquirer seems to have done the job for them it looks like they want everyone to shut up while they fail to uncover it again."

The New York Times has not deigned to touch the story, although it recently ran thousands of words on a relationship between McCain and a female lobbyist, which appeared to be based more on innuendo than fact.

Byron York, a conservative journalist, finally broke the silence in The Hill, a reputable, non-partisan congressional newspaper. "The media looks down on the National Enquirer but you look at the Edwards story and say, 'Wow! There appears to be a lot of knowledge there'. It is darned fishy," York said.

Edwards appeared at a press conference on poverty in Houston shortly after the Enquirer story broke. All he would say was: "I don't talk about these tabloids. They're tabloid trash and just full of lies." There was no explicit denial.

York believes sympathy for Edwards's wife may partly account for the media blackout. "She's a very high-profile wife and she's suffering from cancer. But if the story is true, this was going on when he was running for president."

If Edwards is the father of Hunter's child, he may also be responsible for an elaborate cover-up which would call into question his political integrity as well as his fidelity. An aide to Edwards had previously claimed via a lawyer that he (the aide) was the father.

Hunter's existence was first mentioned by Newsweek in 2006, when the magazine claimed that the little-known film-maker had been commissioned by the millionaire candidate to make behind-the-scenes web videos of his presidential campaign after they "met in a New York bar".

Hunter, a former aspiring actress, was paid $114,000 (£57,000) for her work. Months later, a writer on The Huffington Post website wondered what had happened to the videos, which had vanished from Edwards's campaign site. The headline read, "Edwards mystery: innocuous videos suddenly shrouded in secrecy".

As the battle for the Democratic presidential nomination gathered pace in October last year, the Enquirer claimed that Hunter was the candidate's mistress. "It's completely untrue. Ridiculous," Edwards said. "I've been in love with the same woman for 30 years." Two months later the magazine revealed that Hunter, a 43-year-old divorcee, was six months pregnant.

The story took a bizarre turn when she claimed that Andrew Young, a long-time aide to Edwards and a married family man, was the father of her child. Young's lawyer acknowledged his paternity.

Hunter moved from New York to the same gated community in North Carolina as Young and his wife and young children, raising speculation that he was really her minder. Young has not commented on the latest allegations.

The National Enquirer may publish photographs corroborating Edwards's presence at the hotel this weekend. A reporter for The Washington Post said yesterday: "To be quite honest, we're waiting to see the pictures. That said, Edwards is no longer an elected official and he is not running for office now. Don't expect wall-to-wall coverage."

The Clinton Connection

Roger Altman, who has a controlling stake in the National Enquirer, is a former official in Bill Clinton's administration. Some wags believe the magazine poured resources into the love child story to scupper John Edwards's chances of beating Hillary Clinton for the presidential nomination.

Were the latest revelations timed to finish him off as a potential running mate? Despite the rumours, it is not likely. Few people think Clinton is still on Barack Obama's shortlist.

David Perel, the Enquirer's editor-in-chief, said the magazine's parent company had "nothing to do with the editorial side, which I run".

"We stayed on the story," he said. "We did it the old-fashioned way with lots of legwork. We did what the [big] news organisations used to do. We knocked on doors, ran down leads and talked to people."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/art icle4406814.ece