[lbo-talk] Noam on Porn

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jul 28 14:17:25 PDT 2008

> I recall a study from about 8 years ago of the top porn websites most
> popular downloads.
> IIRC #1 was women on women and #2 was female solo.
> I have no idea how accurate the study was but men dominating women
> wasn't on the list of top 10.
>
> John Thornton

the anti- folks will claim:

that's because men don't like to compete with men on the screen, so they can project themselves on to the scene without any other pesky male body in the way.

could be true about the popularity of g-on-g and solo.

but here's what research turns up -- albeit limited: the reason why there have been so many more g-on-g and solo skinfliks is that women in porn wanted it, and for a variety of reasons.

back when the big push toward g-on-g first started happening, it was before viagara. g-on-g went a lot faster and easier. for others, it's because they are bi- and lesbian and preferred women. for others, it's because, like most people, they like to mark a distinction between work and home life. sex with men at home, sex with women at work.

etc. etc. basically, what comes out of that research was that, contra the radical anti-porn position, that the rise of g-on-g is indicative of male domination and men determining what gets produced and what doesn't, it turns out that popularity of a particularly genre had a lot to do with what workers wanted -- even if you can't find any one dominant reason why so many of them wanted it that way.

dacia ray's research supplements the above in so far as she's showing how women, taking sex work into their own hands via internet technologies, are positioned very differently from the way portrayed by noam with the advent of DIY porn -- especially of the solo-sex variety. that's not to say it's all good, and dacia would never say that either.

shag -- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws ('coz there's 5 million ways to kill a CEO)