[lbo-talk] Cass Sunstein

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 15:34:51 PDT 2008

I agree with Sunstein about Roe. It was wrongly decided, poorly reasoned, and counterproductive. The abortion fight should have been legislative, not a matter of judicial creativity. I would fight like a demon to keep Rose/Casey now, of course. On legal grounds as well as political ones: it is now entrenched. I'm a judicial minimalist on legal as well as political grounds, and so's Sunstein. He's probably more supportive of creativity than I am.

I guess I also like Sunstein's use of behavioral economics -- he's not nearly even as much of a fan of rational choice theory as I am, and has pioneered what they call "behavioral" law and economics, which is using in law an economics with realistic, psychologically grounded, empirically supported assumptions. What's wrong with that?

Sunstein's The Partial Constitution is a quietly very radical book, attacks the notion of "property rights"a s given by God or Nature by pointing out that the choice of baseline makes all the difference.

I don't think he's going to end up on the S.Ct, which I think it would be great if he did.