[lbo-talk] Noam on Porn

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jul 28 18:56:20 PDT 2008

At 09:22 PM 7/28/2008, W. Kiernan wrote:
>shag wrote:
> >
> > i'm tellin' ya. i've got this box full of videos r
> > inherited from a sailor friend. i've been threatening
> > to drag all of them out and watch them complete with
> > rating and blow by blow descriptions for this crew
> > that thinks that porn is all about degrading sex.
>
>I'd bet that box of yours is going to be strongly oriented toward one
>very, very specific type of action and appearance. Porn shoppers are like
>that (or so I've been told). With even a few binary categories I bet
>you'd need at least a couple, three dozen boxes to get anything
>statistically meaningful.

could be. i have skimmed through the titles and they seem like yer typical run of the mill stuff.

and it's not supposed to be respresentative so much as, oh hey, here's this dude stuck on a ship or in a port somewhere and this is what he buys. ho hum. kinda ordinary.

it's be 60 more videos than any of the jokers participating in this discussion have ever seen. aside from which -- there is research on this topic. two years ago, team of australian researchers did a massive survey, concluding that the crap about rampant violence and degradation is kinda overblown. but anyway...

> > and why the fuck is face jizzing degrading
>
>Well it's not so much degrading as it speaks of a gender difference. You
>can't actually _see_ the woman come, you kind of have to take her word for
>it (and this is cinema after all), but it's possible that you can really
>see the man genuinely come. And the industry insists that every time that
>happens you must, so them long-suffering male sex workers always, always,
>always have to pull out. Fortunately for my hard-pressed vanity, I just
>can't be jealous of a guy who always has to pull out.
>
>yrs WDK

oh now. dear. you have to see some of anthony's kennerson's woman's porn. what's her name? the really famous one. in her fifties now. used to be a nurse. the leftist, husband's name is ernest. freakin' too lazy to go look this up. anyway, i don't know, maybe it was my fantasy, but it never freakin occurred to me to really want to know whether anyone was having orgasms. i and my partner are usually just kinda thinkin' about our own. ho ho.

anyway, it struck me, watching her flicks, which came free with Dacia Ray's Bi-Apple, that you could def. tell. same thing with Dacia's flick. and when i noticed it, i thought, 'huh'. i mean, sure, you could have a make up artist rouge her face but, uh, well if anyone thinks make up artists are used a whole lot in porn production, these days...? well.

So, it's an old analysis, that one, and the reason for the introduction of the technique. but it's gone beyond that now, and no longer the reason for the technique. and the crazy notion that some guy's standing over the woman in most of these scenes with some angry, vengeful "take that bitch" attitude, well... all i can say is, not in any porn i've seen.

i'm sure it's there. search terms for the old bithc lab blog were always entertaining in re: the number and variety of searches that had something to do with a variation on "take that bitch".

what was the famous study of men and porn that revealed that most men interviewed were intimidated by women's desire as presented to them in porn? that's probably a bad gloss of the findings, but it was illuminating reading it at the time.

i am so lazy tonight. got a buttload of stuff to do, tho. sorry.