[lbo-talk] Roubini: Worst Financial Crisis Since the Great Depression and W

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jul 29 06:06:03 PDT 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 3:19 AM, Cseniornyc at aol.com wrote:

> Doug Henwood says:"The leading indicators are negative, but mildly
> so. Even
> Roubini doesn't expect armageddon - I personally heard him say this
> to the
> Council on Foreign Relations. Like I say, it could get worse, but
> given all the
> blows the U.S. economy has taken, you'd think that GDP was running
> at -2%,
> and not around 0%. "
> ^
> ^
> ^
> ^
> ^
> ^
> ^
> ^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Well ,I listed about 15 different economic facts and indexes and Mr
> Henwood
> reduces them to one set: the "leading economic indicators".

You know what the leading indicators are, right? They're not called that for their prominence, but because they forecast the direction of the economy several months ahead. They're down moderately. Current indicators are also down, moderately. As I've said about 25 times, I think we're in a recession, and the U.S. economy is in for years of crappy performance.

> Actually, disaster might be preferable

Yeah, I thought so.

> By the way, Rockefeller's CFR is the perfect setting for that
> Italian right
> winger,Nouriel.

You were the one who brought him into this.

The CFR isn't "right wing." It's the heart of the American establishment, or former establishment.

Doug