[lbo-talk] a poe moe and da poe moes

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Jul 29 08:57:37 PDT 2008

>>> Dennis Claxton

Real question...... Why is it that Foucault's apparent talent for giving people the heebie jeebies seems to be in inverse relationship to the amount of his stuff they've read ?

^^^^ CB: How come the more we discuss Foucault the more the hokey pokey ? (smile)

The more we discuss him, the more we read him. I just reread _The History of Sexuality_ Vol. I. ( I have a lot of notes in the back from last time)

My thought this time is that the title is too general. It seems he discusses more narrowly, and impressionistically, the history of sexuality in France, especially, and perhaps Europe and the US since the 1700's. And it is more the history of certain segments of society's _discourses_ about sexuality, not the actual sexual practices themselves.

How about we have a list reading of Foucault ? Then we could have the heebie jeebies _and_ the hokey pokey at the same time.