[lbo-talk] portland / seattle?

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 09:07:22 PDT 2008

My advice on the recruiter front: some of them are, um, wet behind the ears. If a recruiter cannot talk in your price range, if he does not realize the marketability of your background he probably does not have enough clout to be worth your time. Too bad he keeps wasting both his and your time.

I have not looked at COL indexes recently, but COL depends a little about where you live, center city in puny condo, transitional neighborhood with more modest prices or suburbs and how much you commute.

Real estate prices are down about 10% in King County where Seattle is compared to last year. Hard to lament that since the market was overheated and is still ridiculous in some categories. At the moment I know of one lovely older 3+BR home on a great lot listing for $400k in N Seattle but I have seen that price on much smaller and more cramped new stuff.

I am serious though when I say factor commute time into your calculations.

As an ardent Seattleite, I have a feeling some of what I say mgith turn out to sell Portland in terms of mass transit infrastructure and traffic congestion. Seattle has a light rail system just due to come online next year. Bus service has gotten a lot better over the time I have lived here. I do not drive. I do not regret that actually since traffic on many road segments is MISERABLE. As far as Portland, Powell's is indeed phenomenal. Everyone I know goes there before they go to any of the standard tourist destinations. That might just be the manic bibliophiles from the hinterlands I know, but Powell's is so big it has several locations for different subjects all over one section of downtown Portland. Every time I have stumbled into a Powell's store I have found something amazing.

Does this help?