[lbo-talk] Dustup - final installment

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Jul 29 13:24:38 PDT 2008

>>> Chris Doss

If by "culture" you mean non-biologically-determined behavior that varies between one group and another of a species and is passed down generationally, I'm pretty sure that both higher primates and cetaceans have it, probably other animals as well.

^^^^ CB: No , by culture I mean a capacity only homo sapiens have. It involves use of symbols that other species are incapable of. Other primates don't have it. It defines our species. See any basic anthropology textbook.

Charles