[lbo-talk] China Shines Torch in Xinjiang's Face

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Jul 29 13:24:07 PDT 2008

July/August 2008 Vol. 171 No. 6

China Shines Torch in Xinjiang's Face http://www.feer.com/politics/2008/july/china-shines-torch-in-xinjiangs-face

by Christopher B. Shay

Posted July 23, 2008

On a recent night in Yarkand, a town in the southwest of the Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region, I spied about a dozen members of the People's Liberation Army wielding clubs resembling baseball bats near my hotel. While the soldiers looked more bored than menacing, they served as a reminder that Xinjiang is, and will remain, part of China. http://www.feer.com/politics/2008/july/china-shines-torch-in-xinjiangs-face