[lbo-talk] Nation appeal to sign a letter from progressives to Obama

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed Jul 30 13:44:53 PDT 2008

I got an email urging me to sign on to a letter from progressives to Obama. The letter signers want Obama to stick to the primary season programs he supported as head of a vast movement for change. Here is my reply:

"The signers of this letter are delusional if they believe that Obama sits at the head of a dramatic grassroots movement. What movement is this? And I must not have noticed all the progressive principles he stood for in the primaries. Most of the people on this list of signers are going to think themselves very stupid after Obama becomes president, assuming he does, and delivers not one progressive program.

That liberals can't see that US politics is so thoroughly compromised that a run of the mill democrat like Obama can seem to them like a radical is a telling sign of the fact that liberal politics is dead. The editor of the Nation, our labor federations, most of our unions, and our great liberals seem happy to get any falling crumb from the table of the rich, no matter the compromises they have to make."

Michael Yates

ps This letter reminds me of one sent by economists Sam Bowles and Herb Gintis to Bill Clinton. That one made me want to vomit."Accumulate, Accumulate! That is Moses and the prophets." Karl Marx