[lbo-talk] A new kind of Dollar Diplomacy

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Jul 30 14:28:39 PDT 2008

========================= Sure, but still interesting as another illustration of how the worm has turned in international affairs from the days when it was the imperialist powers who issued the ultimata about debt repayment to the poorer countries. The transformatiion of the US from a creditor to a debtor nation, with it's foreign debt having doubled as a percentage of the national debt in the past two decades, together with the appearance of new forms of asymmetric warfare in Iraq and Afghanistan which have stymied the powerful US military, have imposed limits on America's imperial ambitions. It's chastened and frustrated the US right - so arrogantly confident in its ability to reorder the world in the "new American century" when it took power eight years ago - as seems evident in the above quote.