[lbo-talk] The business of being born

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Sun Jun 1 20:40:00 PDT 2008

Joanna wrote:
> I saw a documentary called "The Business of Being Born," which looks at
> the technology/business of being born in the U.S. and questions our
> current approach, which is actually resulting in a 33% caesarean
> rate...40% in some parts of New York.
>
> Now, these are insane numbers. Utterly insane. The U.S. is the only
> developed country with these kinds of numbers. The reasons behind it are
> mostly ideological (the whole birthing business has a very sad and
> horrific history in modern medicine).
>
> But what really confuses me is why the Insurance companies are putting
> up with it. I mean, not only do they have to pay more, but there are
> proven, workable alternatives.
>
> Any ideas?
Public Citizen's Health Research Group did an extensive study in 1994 of unnecessary c-sections and the authors found that there was a much higher rate (20% vs. 30%) in for-profit hospitals than in public or non-profit hospitals. And as you say caesareans are more expensive (at the time of the study around $8,000 for a c-section vs. $4,500 for a normal delivery). The study also suggested that the method of payment correlated with the rate, with the 'better-paying' insurance plans closely tracking higher c-section rates. So in that regard, insurance companies are having some effect, but the rates keep rising. The study notes various hospitals which lowered their c-section rates by instituting stricter guidelines--most of them were university or public hospitals, so they were obviously responding to costs.

It was unclear that malpractice fears affected individual physicians' c-section rates, but certain hospitals seemed to encourage c-sections for insurance reasons (perhaps affected by local experience of being sued). But the study also found rising c-sections in countries where malpractice was not as much of an issue (India and Brazil). So then we return to the explanation of convenience and control by the medical staff--you can schedule a c-section, but not a normal birth. And it's something the doctor does, rather than the woman doing it. Those are powerful factors for the insurance companies to battle. I think they'd just rather work on kicking patients out of the hospital sooner.

Jenny Brown