[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 2 11:07:23 PDT 2008

At 12:36 PM 6/1/2008, Jerry Monaco wrote:

>Obviously because "theory" is some how more "hard nosed" than "philosophy."
>And if you have a theory it is easier to exclude people from your special
>expertise than with something less rigorous

I think this is just plain wrong. Lots of people, I think lots more than might have otherwise, have become aware of philosophy, history, and political economy by way of the "theory" you disparage and that's a good thing. People like Judith Butler make philosophical and historical questions interesting in a way that the interdictory mini-lectures you post here don't.

>You wrote to me the following
> "_shut up shuttin' up already since you're being a ridiculous fuckheaded
>bore."
>
>Anyone who needs to reply like this must feel insecure. It is my surmise
>that you feel your belief system, or sense of self, is somehow under attack
>when issues revolving around certain authors come up.

shag insecure? That's the funniest thing you've ever written.