[lbo-talk] "Theory's Empire," an anti-"Theory" anthology

Voyou voyou1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 11:22:51 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 13:41 -0400, Jerry Monaco wrote:

> 1) Economic theory, political theory, & legal theory, along with the
> institutions that support them, are the main "enemies" of
> theory-skepticism and anti-theory critique.

Political theory mostly involves sitting around reading Machiavelli, or Marx, or Rawls. It has much more in common with literary theory than with economics. Perhaps you are confusing political theory with political science?

I doubt anyone who studies political theory or literary theory would disagree with your contention that "economics, politics, history, law, literature, are humanistic endeavors and are not ready, and may never be ready, for scientific theory making." This makes your "anti-theory" position in this thread seem like a non-sequitur, at least to me. Your objection seems to be to the scientific pretensions of present-day social science; but I don't see what that has to do with "theory" in the sense it's used in "Theory's Empire," which is a phenomenon of the humanities and the less scientistic parts of the social sciences.