[lbo-talk] Ha'aretz purge

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jun 2 15:18:47 PDT 2008

[there's been a purge at Ha'aretz - here's what Amira Hass has to say about it - formatting cleaned up]

Here is an email that I received from Amira Hass on the current situation and changes at Haaretz.

Ed Corrigan

Dear Ed Corrigan,

I forward you a letter i have already sent to two people who asked me directly about the rumors.

i should add that as far as i know Gideon Levy's column is under no threat. It was published last Friday as usual, and so are his weekly op-eds.

Dear friends,

The rumors and and some inaccuracies concerning my work at Haaretz, and the general interest and manifested alarm - indeed require my comments. You two have asked me directly about those rumors. So here is my answer:

1. I am on an upaid sabbatical (since March 2008). It was my request to have this leave of absence. I needed it badly, after almost 15 years of covering the Israeli occupation from within (and for a great part of this time - working up to 15 - 18 hours per day). For long periods the work was done in the stressful circumstances of military invasions, bombings and shellings, standing in front of tanks or edgy armed soldiers, curfews, strict closures, PA mainfested malcontent with any critical reporting etc. No less stressful has been life in the orwelian theater of a "peace process" - trying - usually in vain - to make the readers and my compatriots aware of the deception and the explosiveness of the situation.

2. In November 2007 i was told by Haaretz that my contract and terms of employment should be changed as i had been writing too little over the past year.

3. In November i was too tired and dispirited to be able to explain all that was obviously needed to be explained, and to negotiate the terms of a new contract, and therefore we agreed to postpone everything. . According to my agreement with Haaretz, i may write free lance during my year leave of absence. As i have been away most of the time, it hasn't happened yet (except for two op-eds). Also, according to the agreement, by the end of the sabbatical i'll return to work for a half year - within the same terms. It is then that it will be decided how to proceed.

4. Alll this took place BEFORE haaretz nominated a new editor in chief.

5. As for the dismissal of other colleagues (several editors, not only reporters): It is of course sad to know that people who have worked for years, and dedicated time, thoughts, energy and professionalism - have to start looking for a new place. I do find it extremely deplorable that Miron Rapoport will not be writing for Haaretz. He is a very prolific reporter, who excells at investigations, who writes well and for whom journalism is clearly about "monitoring power" and challenging authorities.

Since i placed myself in Gaza, at the beginning of the 90's, i have learned that in our society (where there is democracy for Jews) - the right for freedom of thought, expression and information is fairly guaranteed. But there is no OBLIGATION to excercise these liberties.

This year i intend to complete the writing of a book on Israel's policy of closure ("the robbery of time and space" - as i term it).

thank you for your concern -

amira