[lbo-talk] The Nation does CNA-SEIU

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:09:44 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Saying things like "CNA is a union buster"
> over & over. Or saying that "Fitch thinks that home care workers
> aren't real workers." Or "CNA is an elitist craft union."

You do realize that at least one of those is objectively true, regardless of our opinions or anyone else's? And that, "elitism" aside, an organization is either a craft union or it is not?

> Is "largest and most successful" representative? And does the initial
> contract tell you much about the long term?

I've put my example on the table. If you want to prove that most of these workers are worse off after their initial contracts, do your own research.

And if you want to establish that someone who got a 35% raise and benefits this year, as well as the guarantee of regular increases for the first time, will be worse off for it in the long run, again, I think the onus is on you to prove it.

> Wow. I said home care, not child care.

Actually, you said neither. I invite you to review your own e-mails.

However, based upon Fitch's own writings, my assumption about your rather opaque intent was reasonable enough.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sTkWj4ixz8sC&pg=PA306&lpg=PA306&dq=%22child+care%22+Robert+Fitch&source=web&ots=Qa_S1MXu9U&sig=d-2fJKzSO8g9mFo-g7gfUkdcLyc&hl=en

> They're not the same thing,
> you know.

Well, Fitch seems to think they're pretty similar. And since you leapt to his defense preemptively, before anyone else in this thread even thought to mention him, I assumed you shared his position. Mea culpa.

> So I'd
> be interested to hear some of the ways in which I'm wrong.

You're wrong because you imply that if something isn't the biggest challenge available, it isn't worth doing. Your position is only feasible to someone for whom the prospect of organizing is nothing more than an intellectual exercise.

And you'll notice that those of us who do organize have the social graces to refrain from assuming we know what goes into writing one of your economic tomes, or to criticize you for not churning out more of them.

> You're the one who said you can see becoming a Republican some day,
> not me.

Didn't you go through that phase already?

Seriously, I will lend critical support to any party that happens to be serving the interests of my class, however temporarily. New York state's child care providers won collective bargaining rights because the groups organizing them used a particular ballot line, which I believe may be near and dear to your heart, as a bargaining chip with a certain pro-labor Republican. Would you have stood on principle and basked in your own righteousness instead?