[lbo-talk] The atheist delusion

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jun 3 08:36:59 PDT 2008

Mike Ballard wrote:

> IMO, unlike sex, religion is not genetically driven; it's a social construction, as all ideologies are social constructions.

Correction: As is almost anything humans do or think or experience a social construction. Someplace (in CI I think) Marx has a sentence about hunger as biologically driven but still profoundly different when eating with a knife and fork and when eating under some other condition. Ditto shitting. Ditto sleeping. And ditto sex. All respond to biological necessity or biological drive or whatever, but all are more usefully regarded as social constructions in any given determinate historical context.

Carrol