[lbo-talk] The atheist delusion

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 12:54:26 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

But if it's so fundamental, why have so many of us shed it? Most

of Western Europe and Japan, and even some 14% of Americans are more

or less secular.

I didnt say it was. It's one of those undecidable things. The atheism of our age, for people like us, is primarily directed against Judeo-Christianity. I dont think any of us care that much whether there is or isn't a universal life force, or some other kind of spiritual entity. We just don't like the organized forms of religion.

At the same time, the religious need, if there is such a thing, could take other forms in a secular culture -- like "self-improvement", vegetarianism, punk, or other forms of drop-out living. Remember Woodstock? And Gray makes the valid point that totalitarianism is partly a kind of debased religion.

Bob